From Andreas' History of the state of Nebraska...
MAJ. EVERT VAN BUREN, physician and surgeon, Hooper, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., Mach 9, 1840; was brought up in Penn Yan, Yates Co., N. Y., and received his education at Canandaigua Academy. After graduating there, he went to Chicago, where he resided the greater part of the time until 1869. He is a graduate of Rush Medical College at Chicago, and has been practicing medicine the past eighteen years. He enlisted as a private in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Volunteers. At Paducah, Ky., he was put in charge of the colored hospital of the Eighth United States Colored Heavy Artillery. After the expiration of his term of service, he returned to Chicago, taking another course of lectures during the fall and winter. In February following, he enlisted as Assistant Surgeon in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteers. He was afterward promoted to Surgeon, with the rank of Major. At Dalton, Ga., he was placed in charge of the hospital of the First Brigade, Second Division, of the Army of the Cumberland. He continued with his regiment until discharged, by general order, at Savannah, Ga. After his discharge, he returned to Chicago, engaging in the practice of his profession about a year; then went to Lamonte, where he resided until December, 1869, when he came to Nebraska, locating at Fremont, and living there until 1880, when he moved to Hooper, where he has since resided. He is a very skillful and successful surgeon and physician. He was formerly Vice President of the Nebraska State Medical Society, and is now a permanent member of the American Medical Association, there being but three others from Nebraska now residing in the State. He is an active leader in the Democratic party in Dodge County, and has been twice elected Coroner on that ticket; is now serving his second term. He was three times a member of the Fremont City Council and has been a member and President of the Town Council of Hooper two terms.
Evert Jr. married Elizabeth Du Bois on November 18th, 1868, in Chicago.
He died in Hooper, Nebraska on October 25th, 1905.
Here's a description of Hooper, also from Andreas' History of Nebraska:
This is one of the lively villages in the eastern part of Dodge County, which owes its origin to the building of the Elkhorn Valley Branch of the Sioux City & Pacific road. It is located in the midst of a rich grain-raising section, from which fact much of its business life springs. The plat of the village was recorded February 4, 1871, John I. Blair, President of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad Company, being proprietor of the land on which it is located, and L. D. Richards, surveyor. O. A. Himebaugh, who had been located on his farm on Maple Creek since 1856, had been buying grain, lumber, etc., and had established quite a business at a temporary station of the railroad, six miles east of the present site of Hooper. He also acted as a sort of agent in the purchase of lands. Mr. Himebaugh was therefore in a position to know of the proposed location of the village, even before the information reached the wide-awake people of Fremont. He located at Hooper, therefore, as the first settler, building the elevator now operated by Morse (C. L.) & Ritter (J. L.) transacting a large business until the summer of 1878. He dealt in grain, lumber, coal, etc. This was in 1870, before the platting of the village. The next settler was James Colwell, the blacksmith, and the second building erected was the hotel now operated by F. M. Tillman. It was built by August Koplekorn in 1871, and is now the only public house in the village. About the time Hooper was platted, a post office was established, and George W. Pugh appointed to take charge of it. G. S. Peyton is the present incumbent. By 1874, the grain trade had so increased that the erection of a second warehouse became necessary. The building is now occupied for this purpose by L. M. Kellogg & Co. This same year, also, Hooper received an acquisition to its business strength in the person of C. F. Eiseley, who was one of the very early settlers of Washington County, having located on Sections 7, 19 and 9, on Logan Creek, in 1856. His land was about half way between Hooper and Fontenelle. He is now proprietor of a large hardware establishment, and a prominent citizen.
On October 16, 1876, the village was incorporated. Its present officers are: Board of Trustees, Chairman, E. Van Buren; E. H. Airis, George Heine, C. F. Eiseley, there being one vacancy; Clerk, Henry Lucien; Marshal, Thomas Bullock.
As it stands, Hooper is a brisk little village of 200 people. It contains two elevators, four general stores, one hardware establishment, one hotel, a post office, one agricultural warehouse, one brick yard, a drug store, photographic gallery, barber shop, harness shop, shoe shop, two blacksmith shops, one restaurant, a saloon and butcher shop. There is a fine district school, a flourishing Masonic lodge and two churches.
The school building was erected in 1880 and is a fine looking, two-story brick edifice, situated on an elevated piece of ground overlooking the village. The scholars, which number about seventy, are graded into two departments. This was a new departure, and was but another index of Hooper's determination to grow into a city with metropolitan ways. The building is divided into two commodious rooms, the total value of the property being $5,000. The Principal, P. H. Musgrave, is assisted by Miss Agnes McDonald.
The Presbyterian Church building, erected in 1879 by this denomination, in union with the Methodist society, is also of brick, and is valued at $2,000. These two societies were formed in 1879, and number together over thirty members. Rev. Joel Warner is pastor of the Presbyterian society and Rev. J. Charles of the Methodist; both reside in the village.
The Masonic Lodge, organized in the fall of 1879, has a membership of over thirty and is in a healthy condition. In a word, it is not too much to say that there are few villages of the size of Hooper, which have sprung up on the line of railroads, showing so few evidences of a mushroom growth. Many of is buildings being of brick, present a substantial appearance not expected, but none the less welcomed.